Thursday, June 5, 2008

Broken water pipes ugh !!!

May 17th, 2008


When we came back from Burns with Bob, I ran out to feed the horses and noticed a wet spot about 3 feet in diameter out in front of the wooden horse barn… I thought to myself, oh darn it's probably a leaking water pipe. After dinner I went out and looked at it again, this time two hours later it was like 12ft in diameter, drats!!! I could see where the water was bubbling up. So I placed a large rock on the bubbling up spot so I’d know where to start digging and shut the water line to the barn off. The next morning I started digging… oh man what a job, there was a foot deep of cinders and rock that had been put on top of where the waterline is. At some point they had buried a drain field pipe and covered it with rock hoping to get the water away from the barn during the spring rains.The digging took a couple of days, but finally got it dug up… the cinders had worked their way down and worn holes in the steel water line. It actually is amazing that the water line hasn’t froze during winter… it’s barely 14” below the surface…

I replaced the steel with PVC where it's exposed and I also put a frost free hydrant in the barn while we were at… my Dad was a plumber, I always picture him brimming from ear to ear when I shoulder into a plumbing project.

No comments:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year greetings to everyone

Click on the "Play" button to view a pictoral essay of our year in review.
Click to play Our2008 year in pictures
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow