Thursday, April 3, 2008

OMG !!! Internet withdrawals !!!







I thought everyone was in the same century... the SE corner of IOWA is still in the 50's and 60's.






We did stay at the Bates Motel (or if you are from Burns - the City Center Motel:) last night, on probably 50 yr old mattresses. It was clean, but it was a step back in time. No coffee... There are no Starbucks, no coffee shops, amazing, I never thought I'd hear myself say, where it a Starbucks...


Here we are in Bloomfield, IA, the county seat of Davis Co. Troy is the name of the town we were looking for, but have found that it's been un-incorporated. I spent several hours in the public library last night with a wonderful local woman who was amazing... we found obits of Ansel maternal grandparents and the cemetary records. This morning I went to the Courthouse and found the Deeds on the property... was having trouble trying to figure out where the homestead was as they had several checkerboarded parcels.


I was sort of at an impass... God is sooooo cool !!!! Ansel wanted a cup of coffee, we went to the local coffee shop at 10:30 am it was closed, while looking for another, there was the "OASIS" and low and behold, it is a wonderful coffee house... and with WI-FI !!! So while I'm getting my internet fix... Ansel starts talking to this local oldy... and I explain what we are doing... and he points to a weathered map on the wall and asks if I saw that... (this is in the gucci coffee shop) and for decoration in this Hawaii themed place is a 1900 plat map of the county showing all the owners and a special mark showing the residence. HA !!!! This was sooooooo amazing. Sooo now we are off to look at it. Hopefully tonight we'll get back to civilization and I'll be able to post from a hotel room.






I have so much to say, and no time to write and no time for spell check... love to everyone



No comments:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year greetings to everyone

Click on the "Play" button to view a pictoral essay of our year in review.
Click to play Our2008 year in pictures
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow